WEST GRIMSTEAD VILLAGE HALL
Plays an import role....keeping the community together and supplying endless events for all to enjoy.

Email Contact:- bookings@westgrimsteadvillagehall.co.uk

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Wgv Chapel

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

…………

West Grimstead was a scene of religious rivalry between the Anglican Church and Methodism in the mid 19th century when the overwhelming majority of the landowners, farmers and tradesmen were non-conformists or sympathetic to non-confomity. In 1811 the first certificate for non-conformist worship in West Grimstead was issued, for the house of Henry Rumbold. Another followed in 1812, for the house of Joseph Compton and one more in 1813, for Methodist worship, in the house of Thomas Mussel. A chapel was built apparently in 1825 and by 1864 the chapel proved more popular than the church. Numbers at the chapel topped 100 while there were around 60 attending the church. The chapel also had a popular school from 1855. The Rev. E.B. Martin was particularly bitter about the popularity of Methodism and the encouragement given by the gentry and farmers and reported that his congregation had dropped, of those that attended his morning and afternoon services only 15 adults worshipped solely at the church.

WGV Chapel 2a…………………

……………………

Chapel goers were so numerous that the chapel was too small that the trustees asked for tenders to build a larger chapel at their meeting in May 1869 and in June awarded the contract. It was built by Mr E.L. Nunn on the site of the first chapel for £175. In 1877 the Trustees asked if they could build a new schoolroom at the rear and in 1885 a schoolroom was added to the edge of the chapel at a cost of £150. Methodism continued to flourish in the parish and in 1909, when the Rev. Wilkinson became rector he found the Methodists ‘rather militant’. He found them far keener than his own flock but he gradually brought the two antipathetic groups together.

The Methodists remained pre-eminent in the 1920’s and 1930’s and most social life was based on the chapel. Methodism declined after the Second World War and only closed in the 21st century. In 2011 the chapel was sold and converted to domestic use in 2012.

wg3 wg5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

The Chapel after it was stripped for redevelopment, in 2011.

…………………………….

 

“Exciting Re-development Opportunity Comprising A Methodist Chapel With Full Planning for 4 Bed Residential Conversion In Sought After Village”

 ……………………………..

  • SOLD PRIOR TO AUCTION ON 16 NOVEMBER 2011 -In Excess of 30 viewings, 9 Underbidders – SIMILAR URGENTLY REQUIRED
  • Methodist chapel with full planning for residential conversion to 4 bed dwelling
  • Wiltshire Council Planning Ref: S/2011/725/FULL
  • Courtyard garden
  • Allocated parking
  • Sought after village
  • Further land available by seperate negotiation
  • Garden
………………………….
THE CHAPEL.
Situated at the heart of the village, The Chapel has been granted Full Planning Permission S/2011/725/FULL by Wiltshire Council to convert the existing building into a residential dwelling with the benefit of off road parking for one vehicle. On completion the property will provide 3,500ft² GEA of accommodation arranged on three floors. The ground floor will benefit from an open plan layout with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a spiral staircase leading up to a first floor mezzanine sitting area. The staircase will then continue up to the second floor where there will be a further two bedrooms and a shower room.
Outside there will be a small courtyard garden to the rear with a carport built into the bank at the front providing off street parking for one car.
The accommodation comprises: • 4 bedrooms • 2 bathrooms and a shower room • Kitchen • Sitting amp; Dining area • Snug • Study Gardens amp; Grounds • Courtyard garden • Carport with parking for one car.
………………………………
wg6
……………………………………………………………………………..
wg4
………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Sadly this is another valuable social facilitly lost to the Village of West Grimstead.
…………….
************************************************************************************************